Everyday people are arrested for DUI in the Roswell and Alpharetta area. If you ever find yourself in this situation, you may be unsure of whether or not you need a lawyer. In our modern day society access to technology and information has allowed us to do things for ourselves that for years we could not do alone; this includes tasks such as booking travel plans, performing banking transactions, and even diagnosing our own medical ailments. Attempting, however, to resolve your DUI case on your own is not one of those things.
Naturally, there is a wealth of information about what to do if you are arrested and charged with a DUI, but just reading about DUI offenses and there possible outcomes is not enough to properly defend yourself in court. Contacting an experienced DUI attorney is a critical step to improve the outcome of your case. Your best DUI defense begins at the Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson, where our skilled legal team will review your case and advise you on how best to proceed.
How a DUI Defense Lawyer Can Help
Each court system is unique and has local customs and procedures, the Roswell and the Alpharetta area is no exception. A knowledgeable lawyer will be aware of the different features of the court system in this area and will be able to navigate the motion and trial process better than an attorney who is not familiar with the area. Additionally, a skilled lawyer trained to provide the best DUI defense understands the legal and factual information needed to defend his or her client. There are many factors involved in a DUI arrest; a DUI attorney will review your case and identify important details such as:
- Was the vehicle stop based on a reasonable suspicion of DUI?
- If you were stopped at a roadblock, did the law enforcement officials follow protocol, such as:
- A legitimate purpose for the roadblock has been identified
- Every vehicle was stopped
- The check point was approved by a supervising officer
- Was the roadblock properly marked
- Were you held for the appropriate amount of time and for the correct legal purpose?
- Was the suspicion of DUI just a pretext or were you racially profiled?
- Were field sobriety tests properly administered?
- Were you properly advised of your implied consent rights and were your questions answered correctly?
- Did the arresting officer say anything to contradict your implied consent rights?
- Was your vehicle searched and was there probable cause to do so?
- Were your Miranda Rights violated?
- Was there Probable Cause to arrest you for DUI?
- Did you take a breath test and was the machine functioning properly?
- Did you take a blood test and was proper procedure followed?
- Did you take a urine test and was procedure followed?
- Did you take a urine test while on prescription drugs? Was the drug with in the therapeutic level in the sample or within the abusive range?
- Were you told that you have a right to an independent breath, blood, or urine test
- Was your arresting officer properly trained to make a DUI arrest?
- Did the arresting officer have a disciplinary record?
- If your urine test shows the presence of marijuana metabolites, are the metabolites active THC or inactive, meaning could the marijuana have actually impaired your driving?
- Was there an accident at the time of the arrest and was the other driver at fault?
- Did the accident cause you to appear impaired due to injury or shock?
- Did the airbag deploy during the accident causing temporary confusion and trauma?
The questions mentioned above are a small portion of the potential issues involved in your arrest. Contacting our legal team is the first step toward developing your best defense and helping to improve the outcome of your case. The Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson has over 20 years experience defending DUI cases exclusively. From the moment you call us, we will work aggressively to resolve your case and limit the negative impact that a DUI can have on your personal and professional life.
Contact a Roswell DUI Lawyer at our firm as soon as you can if you have been arrested for any DUI offense in the Fulton County area.